Eight miles southeast of Muscle Shoals, Alabama's first chartered college was established in 1830. After LaGrange College was moved to Florence, its name was changed to Florence Wesleyan University. It is known today as the University of North Alabama. The "West Point of the West" was open from 1857 until 1863. LaGrange College and LaGrange Military Academy are listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. Site highlights include a welcome center, an antebellum cemetery, the Oaks Plantation log kitchen, an 1850 bed & breakfast inn, a country store, post office, blacksmith shop, log chapel, and the annual reenactment of the enlistment of students into the 35th Alabama Infantry Regiment.