The Georgia Militia constructed the original fort during the Creek War, along the banks of the Chattahoochee River, in 1813. The U.S. Army rebuilt Fort Mitchell on its original site and garrisoned it from 1825 until 1840, shortly after the Creek War of 1836. The Visitors Center houses the museum, theater, and a "walk through time," where lifelike displays depict historical scenes and events of this area and time period. Artifacts featured include arrowheads, tools, guns, pottery, and household items. The Carriage House contains an assortment of carriages, carts, wagons, and surreys.