A thriving Russian-American Company settlement from 1812 to 1841. Chartered by Russia's tsarist government, this commercial company controlled all Russian exploration, trade, and settlement in the North Pacific and established permanent settlements in Alaska and California. Established as an agricultural base to supply Alaska, Fort Ross was the southernmost settlement in the Russian colonization of the North American continent. Today, the Fort consists of several buildings surrounded by stockade walls. The structure of most historical interest is the Rotchev house, an existing building renovated about 1836, for Alexander Rotchev, the last manager of Ross.