The Museum is housed in the original St. Joeseph's Miners' Hospital that was built in 1886 and finished in 1887. There are three floors containing exhibits in twenty-seven rooms. Smaller displays are located in hall cases, alcoves and the original hospital dumb waiters. It houses many artifacts dating back to Ouray's earliest days which began in 1875. The Museum also features a Research Center.