A renowned leader of the Great Awakening, the emotional religious revival of the 1740's, Rev. Joseph Bellamy built the house in two stages, in 1754 and in 1767. The home's architectural embellishments were added by Rev. Bellamy’s eldest son in the 1790's. A formal parterre garden with a wide variety of fragrant trees, shrubs and perennials, sweeping lawns and evergreens were added by the Ferridays, who purchased the property in 1912.