Built on the Point in 1823, the original 30-foot stone tower supported a lantern containing 10 oil lamps and parabolic reflectors. Its beacon was visible 12 miles at sea. In 1840, due to storms and shore erosion; the tower was dismantled and the materials used to build a new tower and keeper's dwelling on the present site. It remained active until 1889. Open May-October, the Historical Society's Old Lighthouse Museum's six rooms of exhibits reflect the lives of Stonington's fishermen and farmers, merchants and shipbuilders, pottery makers, blacksmiths and many other trades. One room with a large dollhouse is reserved for items of interest to children and adults.
What our users are saying about Old Lighthouse Museum | Rate Old Lighthouse Museum
Mystic Area Attractions
Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center
Mystic Whaler Cruises
Steamship SS Sabino
Mystic Arts Center
Captain Nathaniel B. Palmer House
Cottrell Brewing Co.
Richard W. Woolworth Library, The
Nathan Lester House