Designed by Dr. William Thornton, the architect of the U.S. Capitol; for Colonel John Tayloe, a wealthy Virginian plantation owner; the three-story, brick Octagon House was used temporarily by President and Mrs. Madison as the "Executive Mansion" after the burning of the White House by the British. Madison signed the Treaty of Ghent, which ended the War of 1812, here.
What our users are saying about Octagon House Museum, The | Rate Octagon House Museum, The
Washington Area Attractions
National Portrait Gallery
Bureau of Engraving and Printing, The
Patuxent River Park
Woodrow Wilson House Museum
Supreme Court of the United States