A public museum owned by the City of Plainfield and operated by the Historical Society of Plainfield, the Drake House was built in 1746, by Isaac Drake as a home for his son, Nathaniel. It served as George Washington headquarters during and after the Battle of Short Hills, fought over the entire Plainfield area from June 25-27, 1777. The first-floor kitchen, bedroom and dining room are typical of those in homes of the 18th century. Parlor and the Harberger Library furnishings represent the late Empire and early Victorian era. The Drake House collection also includes costumes, historical books, photos and prints, paintings and area memorabilia, including the last will and testament of Isaac Drake, Tree of Life quilt and a seven-legged Creiger piano. The Drake House is open to the public every Sunday from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.