"One of the finest examples of Georgian Colonial architecture from Newport's "golden age" in the mid-18th century," Hunter House's north half was constructed between 1748 and 1754 by Jonathon Nichols, Jr., a merchant and colonial deputy. In 1756, the property was sold to Colonel Joseph Wanton, Jr., a deputy governor of the colony and merchant, who enlarged the house, transforming the building into a formal Georgian mansion with a large central hall. The house was used as the headquarters of Admiral de Ternay, commander of the French fleet, when French forces occupied Newport in 1780. William Hunter, a U. S. Senator and President Andrew Jackson's charge d'affaires to Brazil, acquired the house after the war. A National Historic Landmark restored to the era of Colonel Wanton (1757 to 1779), the home's collections include furniture by the Townsend-Goddard family, premier cabinetmakers of the colonial era who worked in the neighborhood of Hunter House; and Newport pewter and paintings by Cosmo Alexander, Gilbert Stuart and Samuel King. Hunter House is open on a limited schedule.