Slatersville Mill Village
North Smithfield, RI
Located on the Branch River, Slatersville was the first American village built solely for the purpose of producing cloth. Formed in 1803, Slatersville became the model for industrial villages in the Blackstone River Valley for the rest of the 19th century. Slatersville Green was laid out in 1838. Many of the houses around the Green were built by the Slater Company from 1810 to 1820. Buildings include the Greek Revival-style Slatersville Congregational Church and John Slater's house.