"Significant for its diversity of 19th-century governmental, commercial, residential, and industrial architecture," this area "preserves the atmosphere of a mid-19th-century Piedmont county seat." The Albemarle County Courthouse of 1803 originally served as a community church, and "here, in what he called the "Common temple," Thomas Jefferson sometimes attended Sunday services." It is roughly bordered by Park, Water, Saxton, and Main Streets. The Albemarle County Historical Society (434-296-1492) offers seasonal walking tours of the district.
What our users are saying about Courthouse Historic District | Rate Courthouse Historic District
Charlottesville Area Attractions